Niger junta plans to transition to civilian power in 3 years

Niger’s new military ruler, General Abdourahamane Tchiani has said the country will transition to civilian rule in not more than three years.

In a 12-minute televised broadcast on Saturday, Tchiani claimed ECOWAS was “getting ready to attack”‘.

He warned against the planned military action by the ECOWAS , saying Niger’s military will resist external forces by fighting back.

His warning came after a delegation from ECOWAS arrived the country for a final diplomatic push before deciding on a military action against Niger’s new military rulers.

“Our ambition is not to confiscate power,” General Abdourahamane Tchiani. Any transition of power “would not go beyond three years”, he said.

He added “If an attack were to be undertaken against us, it will not be the walk in the park some people seem to think.”

According to Tchiani, Niger is facing difficult times ahead and that the “hostile and radical” attitudes of those who oppose his rule provide no added value.

ECOWAS defence chiefs met last week on a potential military operation to restore Bazoum, if ongoing negotiations with coup leaders fail.

Officials of ECOWAS also met the elected president Mohamed Bazoum, who has been held with his family at the president’s official residence since officers from his personal guard deposed him and seized power on July 26.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *